Sdoru-ll-urodS!

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mutual Exclusivity

To go or not to go?

Since i joined YWAM, i have been involved in the hospitality team for Go-fest asia. For now till the Go-fest starts in august 10 and continuing on till august 26, all of the work we are doing pointing towards this event. Right now we are preparing the ground, but activity level would surely increase as the time draws nearer.
At first, the concern was on me getting enlisted into the army before august, thus being a great pity that i wont really get to see the fruits of my labour in the event. But that obstacle has since been cleared when my friends enlisting in July received their letter, and i have not received any. The next intake would then be september, or later.

Now, another obstacle has surfaced, in the form of a great dilemma. My family had planned a 2 week long trip to japan, right smack in the time of the Go-fest conference and outreach (what a nice timing). The plan is to leave on the 12th, and return on the 22nd while my mom attends her corporate conference in Kobe from then on.
Change of timing for either conference is out of the question. so whatever it is, my mom has to be in Kobe on 22 aug. Going after or during the conference is also out of question, as my brother happens to start his university life on 23 aug (another nice timing).

The problem is, i can only be at one place at a time. Divided-we-stand technology has not been invented yet.

Either way i choose, it is a sacrifice. Both are great opportunities, and one of them has to go.
My parents are disappointed that this Go-fest has to come in the way and disrupt the holiday plans. They feel i should put family first, and just 'take leave' from YWAM, since i am 'entitled to do so because i am just volunteering and owe them no duty'. As my dad says, "the show will go on without you; nobody is indispensible." while my mom says," what if you got enlisted in july? it would be the same thing - you wont be able to go for the conference." it all shows that they have an impression of unimportance for YWAM, go-fest, and my role in it. I am not too sure about it myself, and cant say for it.
YWAM on the other hand points out that i have a responsibility, since i have chosen to join the team. the hospitality team is quite short of manpower, and every member counts a lot. That i am not sure too, and cant say for it.

Arguments for Japan trip
- it would be the first time going to japan for me and my brother.
- i personally really want to go to japan.
- an opportunity like this doesnt come by easily; my mom's part is all provided for by the company.
- we probably wont be going to japan again anytime soon.
- we had rarely been spending time together as a family, and even more rare going on a family holiday. we might need the revival that the trip could provide.
- the experience for my family during the trip might not be as good if i were not there.
- we could celebrate my birthday as a family during the holiday. from the past years, it has always been my family celebrating for me; not much from friends.
- go fest could turn out to be a disappointment. i might not learn much from it after all. much is still uncertain.

Arguments for Go-fest
- the go-fest is all we have been working for; to miss it is such a great pity and waste.
- i personally really want to attend the go-fest conference and outreaches.
- i have a responsibility as a hospitality team member, to look after the foreign teams.
- i would be letting my teammates down if i chose to go for holiday while they are working their guts out and i am not around.
- i could gain much from interacting with them; like making new international friends and learning new culture, which i enjoy.
- this go-fest could be a once-ina-lifetime opportunity for me.
- the japan trip could turn out to be a disappointment. things go wrong, have not much fun. much is still uncertain - very uncertain especially for a foreign country for the first time, free and easy.
- going to japan is expensive. help save money.


I need to know more. i feel like i have not enough knowledge and information to appropriately decide. i need to get a better idea of how the conference would turn out, what things i will be doing as hospitality team, what i would be involved in. I also need to know the itinerary for the japan trip, what fun stuff we would be doing there, how the family bonding opportunity would turn out.

I have been praying hard about it and also getting those around me to pray for me, and still i have received no hint of an answer. the decision always comes back to me, leaving me cyclically in dilemma. Now, my parents are already pressing me hard for a decision. They have to book the flight and hotels really soon. I am forced to choose a direction now, and take several steps in the dark into it. I just pray that the Lord's blessings be upon the decision i make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Claudia & xuxu
Dvd Lim
Lawrence
Sdoru-ll-urodS!: Mutual Exclusivity