Sdoru-ll-urodS!

Monday, April 05, 2010

Life goes on

Ok now, so im back from my trip to shanghai. actually i have been back already 3 days ago. Basically i would say, I really enjoyed my time there. of course, it would have been nowhere as good if not for my friends there. it was a refreshing different kind of experience that i never had before - going to a foreign place on my own; free and easy, staying at a friend's house, and having local friends to be my tour guides; visiting not so much touristy areas but more insider views of local life. - the learning opportunities are way better and abundant than when going on a mindless package tour. furthermore, staying with a local family and joining them in their daily life grants me the best and authentic exposure to local culture. I would love to have every holiday in this way, but such chances are hard to come by. i am thankful for this opportunity.

My sentiments of shanghai~
I wouldnt say shanghai is developed, but it is noticeably developing at a very fast rate - seemingly too fast for the place to keep up with it. (might be confusing)
after seeing observing shanghai, i realised that others feel Singapore is so clean and beautiful actually because Singapore constantly renovates, renews and maintains its urban landscape; as compared to Shanghai which hardly renovates its public areas or buildings - sometimes resulting in an old and ugly scene.

Goods and services in Shanghai is more expensive than most other parts of China, yet it is still significantly cheaper than Singapore's. Housing is very expensive though (considering their average wages), as it is quite a big squeeze in the city.

My foremost sentiment is that Shanghai is a good place to visit and experience comfortably; it has a sufficient infrastructure like the transport system. whatever you need there, you can get it. However, Shanghai is not a place i would want to live in. it demands so much more to live in this city. high cost of living, low purchasing power, rapid development, congestion, heavy pollution. i would not see myself living long-term in such a place.

My account of the Shanghai trip is still being worked on on the other blog as one whole long post. might take some time, but motivates me to get it done. the sketches i made while i was there would help me much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Claudia & xuxu
Dvd Lim
Lawrence
Sdoru-ll-urodS!: Life goes on