Sdoru-ll-urodS!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

In need indeed?

Today i was caught in a really difficult situation. I was going home from school at 8pm, after some cca thing. Since it was formal day, i had to dress up like an office worker. So i was at the bus stop waiting for the bus and i was standing at a corner, then this old man with a really rough face came up to me and talk to me. This is a translation from chinese of the conversation... may not be in order.

he: excuse me, how to i get to choa chu kang from here?

me: i not sure.. u can check the board over there (the bus routes)

he: bus? no.. i want to walk there.

me: its very far from here. u cant walk there.

he: can take mrt to there right?

me: ah yes got mrt to cck.

he: erm.. never mind... just tell me the direction i walk.

me: its really very far. cant reach there by foot.he: really cannot?

he: (after some hesitation) can u give me 3 dollars to take mrt?

me: i dont have money. sorry. (actually had, but thought he was out to cheat me)

he (desperately to himself): how am i going to get there? i got no money for mrt.. the ticket is 2.70 .. (and some other ramblings)

me: you dont have any money?

he: ya. i asked my children for money and they kicked me. (lifted up his shirt to reveal several small bruises on his belly) I walked all the way here from commonwealth .. i have to go to my sister's house at cck if i were to have dinner.

me: u have no money, then how do u survive?

he: i go to my sister's house. she will help me.

me: sorry, really dont have money to help u.

At this point, he started talking to himself sorrowfully and making weird gestures then sat down at a corner, and it kinda freaks me out. i thought he did that to get my attention, make me pity him and give him the money. Then after a while he turned to me again and really freaked me out... he was crying, face flushed and eyes were blood red.
(He started mumbling his sad story including repeat points from above. some of it included "i need to get there before i can have dinner" , i dunno how to go there" and "she has no telephone")

he: you dont want to help me, its ok, ill walk there.

me: how much u need?

he: 3 dollars

me: why dont u ask all those other people here?

he: no.. im scared.me: scared of what?

he: im scared of asking them for money.

me: then why arent u scared of asking me?

he: because i can see u r a learned and refined man (all the formal attire's fault)

me: they are not much different from me.

(he still refused to ask others.)He continued crying and muttering to himself and gesturing.. i did want to give him this time, but couldnt cos i told him earlier i had no money. Asking others to help him also came across my mind, but not after considering that they would also think he's faking.

After at least 10 mins but which seemed like eternity, finally my bus came and i couldnt wait to get away from him. i was still in a state of shock so i couldnt care about him. after i borded the bus i saw him walking out into a dark area.its really very drama and hard to believe, but after thinking through what happened and his account, it does make sense and im kinda convinced its real.

Even if its not, his very good act is well worth 3 bucks. And if it is, he must be in a really desperate and hopeless situation and its really bad of me not to help.Makes me feel abit guilty ... what will happen to that poor chap now.. roaming around looking for another formal guy, which is hard to come by at that time and place until maybe tomorrow. But i shall not worry too much. The birds of the air have no roof above their heads, yet God feeds them. how much more will He provide for His children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Claudia & xuxu
Dvd Lim
Lawrence
Sdoru-ll-urodS!: In need indeed?