Sdoru-ll-urodS!

Friday, October 03, 2014

The last 4 months


So much has happened since the last update. Ironically, part of the reason why I haven’t been updating is because theres so much to update. But I realize that the longer I don’t update, ill have more and more stuff to update, until it becomes a massive buildup of stuff (like now), which ill have to summarise so as to avoid creating a too long to read post and spending hours on it.

Las Vegas

First of course, is the 5 weeks I spent in las vegas. I have mixed feelings about it… enjoyed some, disliked some. Wanted to stay longer, yet wanted to return home. But overall, it was a good learning experience, and it sure did live up to what I said it would be before I went for it – a journey of faith. I’ve learned many valuable lessons along the way within just a short 5 weeks. Going on it with a blank sheet sure is scary with all the uncertainty, and could well leave you disappointed like it did for me at times, but it also opens the way for things you could never imagine. And when these things happen, it’s such an excitement, an adventure, and well worth it. One of the highlights is befriending a really nice couple at the Seattle airport after being stranded together due to a flight reschedule – a great blessing in disguise! As it turns out, they provided me with the opportunities (with their transport) to go to the kind of places I am most interested to go – to the natural getaways; hiking up the mountain, setting foot on the desert wilderness, speed boating in a lake, and also having a slice of local las vegan life in the suburbs. To me, it totally beats all the travelling to San Francisco, Grand Canyon, San Diego etc, which most of my peers spent their weekends on. The ‘word’ I received about the Vegas trip beforehand came true – there would be lonely times, and also times of great fellowship. And thank be to God, I would say there were more good times than the bad. Yet still, in the most miserable of times, I gained from it as well. It seems any experience, pleasant or unpleasant, can be a good learning experience. Anyways, I prefer life back home than life in Vegas. Vegas is only good to experience for a short time, after which it starts to get boring. It’s good to be back home!

The final semester – the brutality of my school schedule is such that there is no break at all, even before or after the las vegas trip. Before las vegas, we had to settle loads of application and visa work and packing while also studying for our exams and doing projects. After las vegas, just freshly off the plane, still suffering jet lag and trying to assimilate back into the local environment, yet we have to make our way to school to do our last short semester. Fortunately though, despite having 2 full modules to do within 5 weeks, the workload for both modules were surprisingly little, coming from 2 professors known for making students’ life difficult, and it also being our final, senior year modules. The workload pretty much subsided more than a week before the end, so that it was a gradual easing into a graduation/farewell mood. The last week was spent savoring the last few moments together as fellow students, knowing that after everyone parts ways, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to spend time together the same way again.

Graduation

August 15 was the last day of my university life (and also my student life, until further plans). It was quite an emotional last day, no lessons or anything, just a time for everyone to gather, mark attendance, say last words, take photos together, and then part ways. But somehow after schooling life ended, things just felt so normal, like it wasn’t much of a change at all. Much more time I had of course, and I just enjoyed the luxury of time to do things I had wanted to do but always gave the excuse of no time because of school.  (But due to a lack of discipline, still much time went wasted onto unnecessary and relatively fruitless things like facebook.)

Lasik

Right after my graduation, I proceeded to undergo Lasik surgery, which I had wanted to do since months ago but heeded the advice of my parents to wait until graduation in case of complications. My glasses were falling apart, contact lens supply depleted. The longer I delay, the more I have to spend on glasses or contacts. It was time I put an end to my dependency on glasses and contact lens once and for all.

Immediately after the procedure, which lasted only a few minutes with some slight discomfort, my eyes were super sensitive to light and felt painful. But I rested immediately, and the next day the pain was gone and light sensitivity had gone down significantly. By 3 days time, I could walk out into the sun without dreading the light, and hardly needed eye drops for dry eyes anymore. No problems with night vision, unlike what some others have experienced. A rather speedy recovery I was blessed to have, and experienced no complications whatsoever thereon. However vision is still not perfect – only to recover over the next few months, hopefully. Definitely not regretting getting Lasik done, and enjoying the great convenience it brings. My 3 pairs of glasses and remaining pair of contact lens are now tucked into a drawer as mementos of my short-sighted past.

Part time work

Late aug to late sep was punctuated with shifts at Fairmont, Conrad, and a few other hotels via an agency. However, I made full use of the flexibility that I can enjoy as a part timer, only choosing to when I have nothing else to do. This I will miss once I start going full time and face the rigid yet irregular working hours this industry demands. I also worked all 3 days of the F1 race, serving rich spectators in the sky suites. Within the 3 days, I clocked a total of 47 hours; leaving me severely sleep deprived and aching all over, but all worth it for the experience and the significant earnings made – which surpasses the amount earned from all the other shifts combined.

Preparation for DTS

Time also was spent on application and preparation processes for DTS in Perth. It was much more troublesome than I expected! I got delayed 3 weeks on reference requests due to technical email faults. Could have been solved faster, but I forgot or was caught up with other stuff. When I finally got accepted and proceeded to visa applications, I was hit with yet another troublesome (and expensive) requirement for medical screening.

When I finally did my medical screening, it was only 4 days away from my flight. But to my horror, I was told it would take 3-5 working days to process the test results, which meant a high chance that my visa would not be granted on time, thus forcing me to reschedule my flight, waste the entire air ticket, and arrive later than planned. In desperation I pleaded with them to give me priority and hoped that they would act on it. I prayed hard for a miracle. Even called them the next day to bug them again. Later that day I received an email bringing news of great delight – my visa had been granted! What was supposed to take 3-5 days was done within 2 days; the miracle I prayed for happened! The great relief set my mood right for the days after.

Grandfather

On the evening of 24 sep, my parents received a call bringing extremely sudden news that my grandfather had passed away. There was no warning, no signs at all that he was about to go. He just departed suddenly after choking on his food and did not make it to the hospital. We were all caught off guard. His passing, however, which would have to take place sooner or later, happened to happen at a time when I had not planned any work for the days ahead, and had to make minimal changes to my plans. It is also after my graduation (so studies not affected) and right before I leave for DTS, saving me a potential disruption to my course and an extra flight back and forth. I am thankful for the ‘good timing’, also that he had a peaceful passing without suffering or struggle, and of course that he is in heaven with Jesus now and will suffer no more.

Off to DTS!

As I write, it is the last day in Singapore before I leave to Perth for my DTS. I just cant grasp it… the whole idea that I would be leaving behind this place and all the people for the next 6 months, and tomorrow I will be in a whole new environment, starting a whole different phase of life. Everything still feels too normal now, and I guess ill only feel it when I make the transition over, with no turning back. Bags all packed, I’m ready to go! Uncertain about many things, but excitedly awaiting to see what comes ahead. I’m sure it will be a great experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Claudia & xuxu
Dvd Lim
Lawrence
Sdoru-ll-urodS!: The last 4 months